Plans to devolve the Wales and Borders rail franchise will include existing cross-border services, the Welsh Government says.
Transport secretary denies government has already decided which plan it will back in choice between Heathrow or Gatwick
The Vale of Glamorgan MP insists the nation needs to see airport expansion in the southeast
IMPROVING local bus services reduces social deprivation and improves people’s life chances, according to a new report.
Monday, 24 October 2016
- Welsh rail franchise 'to keep cross-border services'Plans to devolve the Wales and Borders rail franchise will include existing cross-border services, the Welsh Government says.
- Brexit: Wales offered seat to 'shape' exit strategyTheresa May will offer Carwyn Jones a
- Heathrow or Gatwick: Runway decision tomorrowThe Government will tomorrow make a decision on where a new runway for the south should be built and Heathrow is expected to be the winner.
- Chris Grayling: decision on airport expansion to be made on TuesdayTransport secretary denies government has already decided which plan it will back in choice between Heathrow or Gatwick
- Can’t we agree to just not have Heathrow at all?Given that climate change is apparently still happening, quibbling over a new runway raises a more obvious question…
- 'Overwhelming' case for Heathrow expansion, says commission chairSir Howard Davies, of the Airports Commission, lends backing to expanding UK’s largest airport instead of Gatwick
- Airport expansion’s disastrous effects, near and far [letter]The government’s decision to greenlight aviation expansion (Chris Grayling: decision on airport expansion to be made on Tuesday, theguardian.com, 23 October) is a predictable failure, but not an acceptable one. With the scrapping of vital decarbonisation policies and funding, the UK is already way off-track to meet our climate change commitments.
- Airport expansion decision will be controversial 'whatever the verdict'A decision on airport expansion will result in
- Hybrid cars 'more than seven times as polluting' as pure electricOWNERS of plug-in hybrid cars should pay
- Train services deteriorated after ScotRail improvement plan claimTHE performance of train services deteriorated in the month after ScotRail presented ministers with an
- Airport expansion will be a EXPANDING Heathrow or Gatwick will be a “boon for Scotland” for decades to come, David Mundell insists today as he and his cabinet colleagues prepare to make a crucial multi-billion pound decision tomorrow on which airport expansion option should be chosen.
- Britain will make airport expansion decision on Oct. 25 - transport ministerLONDON (Reuters) - The British government will make a decision on Tuesday about where to allow airport expansion in south east England, transport minister Chris Grayling said on Sunday.
- I ran the Airports Commission: Forget Gatwick. Expand Heathrow now and Birmingham later�
- Sir Howard Davies: Heathrow is the only choice for airport expansion
- ABORT THE LANDING Gatwick bosses will make last-ditch plea to Theresa May warning of ‘risks’ of expanding Heathrow with third runwayThey will send a letter to the PM-chaired cabinet committee on airport expansion before it makes a final decision this week
- Gatwick fires last-ditch warning over Heathrow expansion 'risks'Gatwick executives will tell ministers today that expanding Heathrow would be fraught with risk, Sky News understands.
Bradford Telegraph & Argus
- Disused railway tunnel designated as Historical Engineering Work A DISUSED railway tunnel in Queensbury, which a campaign group wants to re-open as a cycle path, has been designated as a Historical Engineering Work by the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- T&A campaign on danger drivers is heading for Westminster, MPs pledge BRADFORD MPs have pledged to take the Telegraph & Argus Stop The Danger Drivers campaign to Westminster.
- Chris Grayling is set to signal an appetite for new runways at UK regional airports this weekTransport secretary Chris Grayling is this week expected to signal fresh appetite for expansion at the UK's regional airports as well as in the south east.
- The government claims it has not decided on Heathrow or Gatwick yetThe government has insisted that all options for airport expansion are still on the table, just two days before the cabinet will meet to make a long-awaited and much-delayed decision on whether to build at Heathrow or Gatwick.
London Evening Standard
- Hawaiian Airlines wins right to weigh passengers after Samoa obesity rowAn airline has won a battle over a controversial policy of weighing passengers before take-off in a bid to save fuel and stop crash landings.
- Transport Secretary Chris Grayling confirms 'difficult decision' over Heathrow expansion will be made on TuesdayTransport Secretary Chris Grayling has said the decision about new runways in London airports will be made on Tuesday.
- Graffiti spate on trains sparks rush hour problems for commutersCommuters faced delays this morning after vandals “senselessly” defaced 16 trains at a Hertfordshire depot.
- Plaid Cymru demands £1bn for Wales before it will back Heathrow expansionTreasury spokesman Jonathan Edwards argues the cost of transport connections could hit £20bn
- Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns argues Wales' economy needs more 'runway capacity in the southeast'The Vale of Glamorgan MP insists the nation needs to see airport expansion in the southeast
Wolverhampton Express and Star
- Wolverhampton amongst worst spots for uninsured carsWolverhampton and Smethwick are among the worst areas for uninsured vehicles, new figures have revealed.
- Better bus services ‘cut social deprivation’ IMPROVING local bus services reduces social deprivation and improves people’s life chances, according to a new report.
East Anglian Daily Times
- Rail summit to look at franchise and next steps for East AngliaJust a week after Abellio’s new Greater Anglia franchise began, rail chiefs, politicians, and business leaders are gathering in Ipswich today to look at the next steps for the region’s rail services.
Other Regional Press
- 'Pop up' stage performance arriving at Huddersfield Railway Station for half-term The story of Huddersfield's manufacturing heritage brought to life in play
- Extra patrols on the railways after Ale Trail violence at SlaithwaiteNorthern Rail and British Transport Police step up security
- "Top-flight payouts for Heathrow homes" will see permission granted for Colnbrook Runway on TuesdayHeathrow failed to respond to questions put by Colnbrook Views in September over the discrepancy in compensation figures but conflicting posts on its Your Heathrow website were swifly taken down.
Bus and Coach.com
- Taylor Made uniforms for North Dorset Travel
- EP Morris introduces incident mapping
- Merridale highlights integrated fleet management
- New bus contract at Bournemouth Airport
- Government approval for new Trafford Park Metrolink line
- Turnover and profits up at McGill’s Buses
- Call for Bus Services Bill to apply to all councils as annual stats reveal fall in bus use
- Electric Volvo fleet for Transdev Blazefield in Harrogate
Other News Sources
- World rail freight news round-upPKP PLK has completed a 370m złoty modernisation and double-tracking of the rail connection from...
- Sunday, 23 October 2016
- Saturday, 22 October 2016
- Friday, 21 October 2016
- Thursday, 20 October 2016
- Wednesday, 19 October 2016
- Tuesday, 18 October 2016
Conferences & Expo's
- 19th Annual conference of railway experts - 14-15 February 2017 - Germany
- Delivering major rail projects - 29 November 2016 - London
- ERTMS Education Days - 1 December 2016 - London
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Fixed Track Forms for High Speed - 11 October - Manchester
- Future of London Transport Strategy - 3 November 2016 - Bracknell
- Intelligent Rail Summit 2016 - 22-24 November 2016 - Naples
- Moblab - 12-13 October 2016 - Switzerland
- Northern Powerhouse Rail Conference - 10 November 2016 - Manchester
- Passenger Terminal Expo 2017 - 14-16 March 2017 Amsterdam
- Rail Business Awards - 23 February 2017 - London
- Rail IT World Congress - 14-15 November 2016- Amsterdam
- Rail simulation technology forum - 21-23 November 2016 - Amsterdam
- Railcon 16 - 13-14 October 2016 - Serbia
- Railtech 2017 - 28-24 March 2017 - Utrecht
- Railtex 2017 - 9-11 May 2017 - Birmingham
- Railway Brake and Friction - 14 December 2016 - Derby
- Railway condition Monitoring - 27-28 September 2016 - Birmingham
- Rolling Stock Procurement - 15 November 2016 - London
- SmartMetro 2016 - 1-3 November 2016 - Copenhagen
- SmartRail USA - 25-26 October 2016 - New York
- Stephenson Conference - 25-27 April 2017 - London
- The Future of Rail - 1 December 2016 - London
- Transport-Led Development in the Midlands 2016 - 19 October 2016 - Birmingham
- World Metro Rail Congress - 25-26 April 2017 - London
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Urban Transport Group
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association