The UK chancellor has insisted a decision on new airport capacity in south-east England will come this autumn, saying it has taken “longer than many people would have liked” for the government to make up its mind.
Members of Parliament overwhelmingly support a third runway at Heathrow to expand aviation capacity in the south east, according to the latest poll.
A CLEAR case has been made for a proposed high speed trans-Pennine train service to include stops in West Yorkshire and York, according to transport officials.
SWANSEA'S three Labour AMs have written to the UK's new Secretary of State for Transport calling for a commitment to make speedy progress on the electrification of train line between London and Swansea.
Thursday, 28 July 2016
- Rail trespassing: 'Trains can't slam brakes like a car'A warning has been issued after figures showed rail trespass incidents in Wales have risen.
- Hundreds still driving despite having 12 penalty pointsMore than 200 drivers are still legally on Welsh roads despite reaching 12 or more penalty points, the BBC has found.
- London City Airport: Ministers back �344m expansionA �344 million expansion programme at London City Airport is given the go-ahead by ministers.
- Up North:Northern Powerhouse minister to visit regionThe Northern Powerhouse Minister Andrew Percy his first official tour of the North since his appointment.
- Authority to discuss Bradford HS3 plansPlans for the HS3 route to go through Bradford will be discussed at a meeting today. West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) has issued a report which calls on Transport for the North (TfN) to include additional stops in its plans for HS3, including one in Bradford city centre.
- London airports decision to be made in the autumnThe UK chancellor has insisted a decision on new airport capacity in south-east England will come this autumn, saying it has taken “longer than many people would have liked” for the government to make up its mind.
- Flight MH370: modelling shows debris may be further north, say scientistsItalian researchers used computer modelling to determine possible location of the main wreckage Just days after authorities mooted suspending the ocean search for missing flight MH370, researchers suggested the debris zone may stretch a further 500km (310 miles) north.A team of Italian scientists used computer modelling, into which they fed data on ocean currents and winds over the past two years, to try and pinpoint the Malaysia Airlines plane’s likely underwater grave. Continue reading...
- London City airport expansion gets green light from ministers�344m scheme to accommodate more flights and passengers and improve local transport links given go-aheadMinisters have given the go-ahead for a �344m expansion of London City airport.The plans include an extended terminal, more space for planes to taxi to and from the runway, and new aircraft stands that will allow bigger, more modern planes to use the airport. Continue reading...
- Bikes, buses and bridges: Boris Johnson’s biggest design blundersAs plans for the Garden Bridge teeter, behold Boris’s most public design disasters, from Thomas Heatherwick’s mobile sweatbox to an Olympic white elephantIt was the Kevlar-coated vanity project that could survive missiles of common sense fired from every direction. But the Garden Bridge’s aura of invincibility looks as if it might finally be wearing off. Continue reading...
- MH370 pilot's flight simulator did plot course over southern Indian OceanAustralian officials confirm Malaysia Airlines captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah’s simulator did show route where plane is believed to have vanishedAustralian officials have confirmed that data recovered from a home flight simulator owned by the captain of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 showed that someone had used the device to plot a course to the southern Indian Ocean, where the missing jet is believed to have crashed. Related: Flight MH370: modelling shows debris may be further north, say scientists Continue reading...
- Oxford bus driver stops mid-route to help an elderly woman cross the road� Driver Mark Adams, 54, spotted the smartly-dressed OAP shuffling slowly across the street when he pulled over, got out, took her arm and helped her onto the bus to Oxford.
- Southern rail sinks to a new low as union bosses threaten more strikes Just 15.8 per cent of trains on the Southern Mainline route between Brighton and London arrived on time on Tuesday as union barons yesterday threatened another wave of strikes on Southern rail.
- 'They were being quite cocky' - pensioner ‘puts boy in arm lock’ in train row TRANSPORT police are appealing for information to identify a pensioner, who allegedly assaulted a young boy on a train, by putting him in an arm lock.
Bradford Telegraph & Argus
- New report makes strong case for HS3 station in Bradford city centreBUSINESS leaders, rail groups and councillors have backed a report which says there is a good case for the HS3 route to come through Bradford.
- Nearly 400 passengers a day are using new rail station LONG-AWAITED Apperley Bridge railway station been hailed as a soaraway success for the Bradford district and the wider region.
- MPs back third runway at Heathrow in first post-Brexit pollMembers of Parliament overwhelmingly support a third runway at Heathrow to expand aviation capacity in the south east, according to the latest poll.
The York Press
- 58 rescued after fire on train in York – passenger tells of drama PASSENGERS on a train near York Railway Station were evacuated last night because of a fire alert.
- Why high speed trains must stop in Bradford and York - reportA CLEAR case has been made for a proposed high speed trans-Pennine train service to include stops in West Yorkshire and York, according to transport officials.
- Expand Heathrow not Gatwick to boost UK economy says MPsA MAJORITY of MPs believe a third runway at Heathrow is the major infrastructure project that will benefit the UK economy the most, according to a new poll.
East Anglian Daily Times
- Drone near-miss at Stansted Airport prompts safety warningA drone came within 25 metres of a plane landing at Stansted Airport and posed a “serious risk of collision” while two planes had a near miss, reports have revealed.
Other Regional Press
- Swansea AMs urge government to stick to rail electrification timetable SWANSEA'S three Labour AMs have written to the UK's new Secretary of State for Transport calling for a commitment to make speedy progress on the electrification of train line between London and Swansea.
- MP issues plea on runwayNEWQUAY’S MP has joined an influential group of Cornish business and political leaders to call for a rapid decision on a new runway in the South East following Brexit.
- MPs call for urgent airport decisionGovernment has been called on yet again to make an urgent and immediate decision on hub airport expansion in South East England in a new report launched this week.
- London City Airport expansion approvedExpansion at London City Airport has been approved in a joint statement by the Chancellor, Transport Secretary and Secretary of State for Local Government and Communities. The expansion plan involves building 7 new�aircraft stands and a new taxiway to increase …
- London City receives clearance for �344m expansionApproval comes months after Boris Johnson rejected application
- Air France 7-day strike to hit 30% of flightsWeek-long action by cabin crew will affect many medium and long-haul services
Other News Sources
- Business leaders and MPs urge Grayling to make quick decision on airport expansionIn a series of letters organised by the Let Britain Fly campaign group, politicians from Cornwall, the north-east, the north-west and Scotland have written stressing the importance of aviation capacity for their regions.
- Northern Powerhouse remains 'key priority' for GovernmentBuilding a Northern Powerhouse remains a "key Government priority", ministers have said.
- Metro Mayor Visits Liverpool2Luciana Berger, the Liverpool Metro Mayor contender, recently visited the new Liverpool2 container terminal at the Port of Liverpool, ahead of its summer 2016 opening.
- Wednesday, 27 July 2016
- Tuesday, 26 July 2016
- Monday, 25 July 2016
- Sunday, 24 July 2016
- Saturday, 23 July 2016
- Friday, 22 July 2016
Conferences & Expo's
- Bogie 16 - 12-15 September 2016 - Budapest
- Comprail 2016 - 19-21 July 2016 - Madrid
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Future of London Transport Strategy - 3 November 2016 - Bracknell
- High Speed Rail in the UK - 30 June 2016 - London
- Innotrans - 20-23 September 2016 - Berlin
- Intelligent Rail Summit 2016 - 22-24 November 2016 - Naples
- Northern Powerhouse Rail Conference - 10 November 2016 - Manchester
- Rail Live 2016 - 22-23 June 2016 - Warwickshire
- Railway Brake and Friction - 14 December 2016 - Derby
- Railweek - 27 June - 3 July 2016
- RVE 2016 - 6 October 2016 - Derby
- SmartMetro 2016 - 1-3 November 2016 - Copenhagen
- SmartRail USA - 25-26 October 2016 - New York
- UIC Global Rail Freight Conference - 22-23 June 2016 - Rotterdam
- UK Light Rail Conference - 27-28 July 2016 - Birmingham
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Urban Transport Group
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association