The rail network north of Perth is unfit for purpose according to Scotland's Camber of Commerce
Pensioners should be stripped of free bus travel as part of efforts to save £15 billion, a think tank said.
Wednesday, 22 February 2012
- More UK ships 'have armed guards'A number of major UK shipping companies now carry armed teams to combat the threat of Somali pirates, a leading industry security spokesman says.
- North rail 'not fit for purpose'The rail network north of Perth is unfit for purpose according to Scotland's Camber of Commerce
- Minister checks railway progressTransport Minister Keith Brown visits the Borders to check on progress being made on the rail route linking the region to Edinburgh.
- Doubt over Ryanair job loss claimIndustry insiders dismiss claims that 300 jobs could be lost after Ryanair unveiled plans to cut services from Edinburgh Airport.
- Lothian buses to increase faresBus passengers in Edinburgh are facing a new round of fare increases from 4 March.
- Kingfisher vow to restore serviceIndia's loss-making Kingfisher Airlines tells the aviation authorities that it hopes to restore flight schedules in the next five to seven days.
- Countries oppose CO2 tax on jetsChina, the US and other countries opposed to a new EU carbon tax on airlines meet in Moscow to consider possible retaliation.
Department for Transport
- Cash boost for electric van manThe first vans eligible for the Government™s new Plug-in Van Grant, have been announced by Transport Secretary Justine Greening and Business Minister Mark Prisk today.
- Ryanair to cut flight capacity at EdinburghIrish carrier blames decision, which should reduce passenger numbers by 300,000, on airport owner™s refusal to reduce take-off and landing fees
- Let's hear it for all buses - not just Boris Johnson's RoutemastersA meaningless gimmick in London grabs the headlines, says writer and transport consultant Roger Davies, while elsewhere on the UK's buses, pips squeak
- Growth in passenger numbersEasyjet, which is Scotland's biggest airline, also disputed Ryanair's claims that it was the only carrier to experience growth at Edinburgh, pointing out that it was expecting 7% growth in passenger numbers this year and has recently announced five new routes.
- Anger as Ryanair chief claims 300 jobs at riskRYANAIR'S claims that 300 jobs at Edinburgh Airport will go as the airline axes five routes from its summer schedule have been disputed by the airport's operators.
- Strip pensioners of free bus passes, says think tankPensioners should be stripped of free bus travel as part of efforts to save £15 billion, a think tank said.
- Coach tour of the M25 is a surprise hitIt was once voted the most hated place in Britain by Radio 4 listeners, but a coach tour of the M25 orbital motorway has proved a surprise hit.
- Motorists will have to carry portable breathalyser in FranceDrivers crossing the channel will have to carry a portable breath-testing kit to take their car to France.
- Transport firm's £4m fleet dealTransport and logistics firm Woodside Group has invested over £4m in a new fleet of Volvo trucks.Related StoriesLate returns drop as man hikes up finesPharmaceuticals firm advertises global rolesNew IT advice service for tourism sectorMy Inspiration: Julie McNeiceLeaders plan China visit to help Ulster's economy
Edinburgh Evening News
- Lesley Hinds in bid to halt station taxi banAN emergency bid is being launched at the City Chambers to halt plans to ban taxis and private cars from Waverley Station.
- 300 jobs at risk as Ryanair axes five Edinburgh routesBUDGET airline Ryanair today announced it was cutting five routes from Edinburgh warning of the loss of up to 300 jobs.
London Evening Standard
- The next Routemaster has been delayed, for a second timeThere is little surprise when a bus runs late so it was perhaps inevitable that the arrival of the new £1 million Routemaster has been delayed for the second time
- Boris's pledge for free travel in 'grey vote' battle with KenBoris Johnson has pledged to bring back free travel for all over-sixties as the mayoral candidates made their pitches for the crucial
- M25 coach tour adds extra dates due to 'huge public demand'It has been voted as the most hated place in Britain but a coach company has been forced to add extra dates to a four-hour coach tour round the M25 motorway due to what is described as 'huge public demand'.
- £88m to fund transport bodyTRANSPORT chiefs in South Yorkshire have set a budget for next year that will see £88.2 million collected from councils.
- Bus scheme set for citywide expansionTRANSPORT bosses are planning to expand a scheme across the whole of Sheffield in which bus operators share the running of routes and offer tickets which can be used on any firm’s vehicles.
- Call to lobby Government over faster rail services PLYMOUTH business leaders are being urged to lobby the Government for better and faster trains to the city.
Other Regional Press
- Snow gates to be fitted at Woodhead PassSNOW gates are to be installed on a busy road close to Huddersfield.
Global Rail News
- Invitation to go to global launch of new PPE productRail health & safety advisors and project and construction managers are invited to the global launch of a personal protection equipment (PPE) product designed to help save trackside workers™ lives. The Fhoss Technology® Ltd PPE will be unveiled at a private railway in Kent on March 22 (2012) and anyone interested in attending can contact [...]
- Crossrail plans to ˜lessen impact of construction™ on west LondonCrossrail has announced that it has reduced the extent of land required for a major sub-station at Great Western Road in west London. As a result of Crossrail™s efforts to reduce the size of the sub-station site, a building at 56 Great Western Road is no longer required. Crossrail has been working closely with Big [...]
- SNCF orders trains from Alstom for â‚¬25 millionAlstom has received an order from SNCF (on behalf of the Pays de la Loire Region) for five regional trains from the Coradia Polyvalent range for around â‚¬25 million. The Pays de Loire Region currently operates 54 Alstom regional trains and has already ordered 15 Coradia Polyvalent trains. In addition, the Pays de la Loire [...]
- New focus on HS2As campaigners against High Speed Two try to reverse the government™s decision a new report published by Passenger Focus and Network Rail spells out public backing for the increased levels of rail service that will benefit hard pressed commuters. The report also finds public support for the project increasing. HS2 will benefit commuters travelling between [...]
- Network Rail becomes Associate Sponsor of RailStaff Awards 2012Network Rail is, for the fifth consecutive year, an Associate Sponsor together with category sponsor of the ‘Rail Person of the Year 2012′ at the RailStaff Awards. The event, held in Birmingham in October 2012, focuses on the people who deliver the services and infrastructure essential to the UK railway, round the clock, 365 days [...]
- New team at Greater AngliaRuud Haket (above), who led Abellio™s successful bid for the Greater Anglia franchise, heads a new team as managing director. The team includes: ¢ Andrew Goodrum, Customer Services Director ¢ Adam Golton, Finance Director ¢ Thijs Jan Noomen, Projects Director ¢ John Ratcliffe, Engineering Director ¢ Nanouke van ˜t Riet, Operations Director ¢ Andrew Camp, [...]
- Frankfurt Airport strike extended to FridayGerman hub hit by industrial action for rest of the week
- Tuesday, 21 February 2012
- Monday, 20 February 2012
- Sunday, 19 February 2012
- Saturday, 18 February 2012
- Friday, 17 February 2012
- Thursday, 16 February 2012
Conferences & Expo's
- 19th Annual conference of railway experts - 14-15 February 2017 - Germany
- Delivering major rail projects - 29 November 2016 - London
- ERTMS Education Days - 1 December 2016 - London
- Exporail 2016 - 26-28 October 2016 - Moscow
- Fixed Track Forms for High Speed - 11 October - Manchester
- Future of London Transport Strategy - 3 November 2016 - Bracknell
- Intelligent Rail Summit 2016 - 22-24 November 2016 - Naples
- Moblab - 12-13 October 2016 - Switzerland
- Northern Powerhouse Rail Conference - 10 November 2016 - Manchester
- Passenger Terminal Expo 2017 - 14-16 March 2017 Amsterdam
- Rail Business Awards - 23 February 2017 - London
- Rail IT World Congress - 14-15 November 2016- Amsterdam
- Rail simulation technology forum - 21-23 November 2016 - Amsterdam
- Railcon 16 - 13-14 October 2016 - Serbia
- Railtech 2017 - 28-24 March 2017 - Utrecht
- Railtex 2017 - 9-11 May 2017 - Birmingham
- Railway Brake and Friction - 14 December 2016 - Derby
- Railway condition Monitoring - 27-28 September 2016 - Birmingham
- Rolling Stock Procurement - 15 November 2016 - London
- SmartMetro 2016 - 1-3 November 2016 - Copenhagen
- SmartRail USA - 25-26 October 2016 - New York
- Stephenson Conference - 25-27 April 2017 - London
- The Future of Rail - 1 December 2016 - London
- Transport-Led Development in the Midlands 2016 - 19 October 2016 - Birmingham
- World Metro Rail Congress - 25-26 April 2017 - London
- Centro (West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive)
- Department for Transport
- European Commission (Transport)
- European Commission, Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Greater London Authority - Transport
- Merseytravel (Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive)
- Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Exectutive)
- Nexus (Tyne & Wear Passenger Transport Executive)
- Plymouth Transport
- Scottish Regional Transport Partnerships
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (UK)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Scottish Government (Transport)
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- Transport for London
- Urban Transport Group
- Welsh Assembly Government (Transport)
- World Transport News in Russian
Bus and Coach
- Aviation Environment Federation
- Campaign for Better Transport
- Friends of The Earth
- Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
- HACAN ClearSkies
- London City Airport Fight the Flights
- Save Our Buses
- Stop Stansted Expansion
Friends of TransportInfo
- ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen)
- BALPA (British Airline Pilots Association)
- RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Union)
- TSSA (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association)
- ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies)
- Freight on Rail
- Network Rail
- Rail Freight Group
- Railway Study Association